The Diablo III thread...

MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM - Games, Politics, Tech, Film, Music, Arts, Culture, Travel, teh Intarweb or whatever else is on your mind.

Moderator: enderzero

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

Post by N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!! »

Post #26...in a row...because of Diablo 3...so don't blame me...

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

11 years before Diablo!!!!

There was The Bard's Tale!!!!

And 7 years ago it was somewhat redone and I don't even remember anything about it until now...and you can buy it on steam for $10

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41900/

Talk about a long time in between on release of the game to the other - what is that like 19 years????

BRING BACK SKARA BRAE!!!!!

Did anyone ever become a destiny knight before??? If you haven't you should know that once you become a destiny knight you can't be killed...which was pretty cool..

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

A DiabloIII-a-thon sounds pretty awesome. Could be worth a northern pilgrimage for such a week of fire and brimstone.

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

Got any ideas other than PCs at castle ])ustro? Provided the king and queen would allow such a thing of course... :grin:

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

I've enjoyed your postings, I would have commented, but I didnt want to break your stride!

Go Diablo 3!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

The King and Queen of course have pre-approved such activity. I may be jobbed again this week, but I'll make sure to save time off for such an event. (would probably need to span a weekend is all)

I have three PCs that are more than able, and an additional laptop that should be up to it, but maybe on the lower end. We wouldn't need much. Then we just need a "Plus Five Cocaine I-V Pouch of the Owl MkIII" for all nightery-yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! :eek:

HEHEHEH

Provided DIII is as fun as Borderlands was, I'll be up all night anyway. :sleep: <--- He's not sleeping, he's shouting WWWOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I would really like a Blizzard-Made Diablo game set in cyber-punk setting. Mit hacking, body and mind mods, chemical enhancements, nifty technology, etc. Somebody make them do it! That is all...

...and no, not Hellgate(ish.) Like REAL Diablo game with the heavy atmosphere, skill-tree, inventory, HUGE replay value, and "just stupid fun with no real explanation other than it's a Diablo game TM" sort of thing in the CP environment....

Over...

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Was there ever any doubt?

Diablo III & StarCraft II: Hearts of the Swarm Not Likely 2011 Releases
6:52 AM - Jube - 7 Comments
Bah. Blizzard has cast doubt on the chance that Diablo III and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm will see the light of day in 2011. Actvision Blizzard's outlook for the next financial year did not include a Blizzard release.
Activision Blizzard CFO Thomas Tippl hinted that the games could yet be some distance off. "In the long run Blizzard is good for one major release a year.. but the quality of the game had to be there. "Compromises on the game quality" was something "we would never do."
Elaborated Morhaime on Diablo III "until we get to beta and we have the community help us test the game we aren't going to lock in a release date."

The publisher's CEO Bobby Kotick claimed that, were there no 2011 game, there would be a "minimum of two Blizzard titles in 2012."

Stupid Cataclysm ruined it for the rest of us.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Now they're saying that D3 will be out in 2011, and SCII:HotS will be next year. So we may still be on for D3-Festival.

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

Diablo III in 2011

We really, really hope so. That’s our goal,” Pardo said. “Our goal is to get there. But you know, at the end of the day, we are going to get it right. That’s more important. We’re going to promise, we’re going to get it out there when it’s awesome. And, we’re crossing our fingers, maybe it will be this year.
- Rob Pardo, Executive Vice President of Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

The problem with any game that has a really long development cycle, along with the usual problems any game has, is that IF it were actually at the "done" point a lot has to be redone to keep up with technology like Direct X, OS releases, and hardware. Combine that with the classic problems like feature creep and redesign and it just compounds itself. Also the bigger the game the longer it takes to run through a playtest after each major build. The bigger the game the more bugs. There is no such thing as having a TODO list for a game that can be finished - it can never be completed because it keeps growing. Also as more and more artists are put on or cycle off there are problems with stylistic differences AND art just gets better over time anyways. What was once very good art becomes just mediocre art especially if more detailed textures are allowed because technology can handle more...And lastly of course, one of the biggest problems Blizzard has with all this kind of stuff is that they are Blizzard and they don't have to finish the game because they are running out of money AND they have their reputation to uphold.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Well, here's the deal. I'm going to buy Blizzard, and make them implement SCRUM or some other agile development methodology. :D

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

I think SCRUM is a semi-elaborate ruse that is used for disguising perpetual crunch mode as something else but is redundantly similar. The game developers I know that have used it put in long hours towards the end of a sprint as if they were approaching an important milestone. Basically what they are doing at the end of a sprint, as opposed to what they are doing as they approach an actual milestone, is essentially the same where the game developers are always putting in long hours because they are approaching a critical point in development. We did something similar when we were putting in long hours as we approached an important milestone by having mini milestones. What this did was dilute the importance of the major milestone by making the major milestone seem less important since we were only concerned with putting in long hours for the mini-milestone. By putting in long hours for a mini-milestone we essentially hid the fact that we were actually putting in long hours for a major milestone from all the long hours we put in for the series of mini milestones that the major milestone was made up of. By breaking up a major milestone into many mini milestones the significance of what a milestone was diminished and got to the point where the urgency a milestone commanded in the past wasn't there anymore and development went back to normal where we were just putting in long hours for the next milestone but we had the extra overhead of organizing the mini milestones which meant putting in longer hours.

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

If I were to buy Blizzard I would make them implement the W27HMTT4HOFTTATWOSMOOHLTN (WORK 27 HOURS MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY AND 4 HOURS ON FRIDAY AND THEN TAKE ALWAYS TAKE THE WEEKEND OFF AND START MONDAY OFF ONE HOUR LATER THAN NORMAL) methodology... I would have them do this every other week and on top of that anyone who chose to come in to work when they were supposed to be off would have to pay to work at three times their calculated hourly salary. That may seem incredibly counterintuitive but I believe that by limiting the hours they get to work they would want to work more when they could work and would be hungrier to work hard when they got a chance to work.

I am of the opinion that healthy well rested happy employees that have time to enjoy their life will produce more and produce higher quality work than those that are unhealthy, chronically fatigued, deconditioned, unhappy, and resent working because of not having enough time or energy to enjoy their lives.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

VERY TRUE! Healthy, well rested employees are MUCH more productive. A proper mixture of work, play, and rest is synergistic.

I was kidding about SCRUM. I hate SCRUM. I hate people who are implementing it, because they think it will revolutionize the way they work, and as you say, it's just a disguise for pretty much the same process while adding artificial stress. :wtf:

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

AHHHHHHHHHHHH SCRUM! I'm haunted by poorly implemented SCRUM meetings at Microsoft!

I have yet to recover...

In other news... where the hell is DIII?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

It's in the evil pit of the SCRUM! Which is a very long and very pointless dungeon in the original Dungeon Siege! You an play through it, and find out where D3 is. :D

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend you try it. Now if only I remembered where that pit is. It's in one of the later foresty areas...

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

HEY! When we FINALLY get Diablo 3 we should try using SCRUM to see how much faster we can complete the game!!!! w00t!!!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

That's the best idea I've heard yet today! I'll put together some documentation on SCRUM for gamers when I get some spare cycles. Then I'll ping you guys so we can get this roadmap crystalized! YES! Wait, but first we should have a few meetings about it. The first of which we will use to decide when to have more meetings. Then the next one will be what we should discuss in these meetings. The next one will be to develop some primary actions items! Once we have those action items crystalized, we'll have another meeting... ...to discuss... ...well, let's just take it offline, and we'll have an informal meeting about it in the hallway before we start our next meeting.

Now, what were we talking about? Oh yeah SCRUM! Let's set up a meeting...

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

EN-NAHR-G MOOR-SELL-ZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Tasty ones?!?!?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Like burgers, turkeys, and ham-bones that fall out of the garbage cans in most games that give you energy and health?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

If there's one thing I learned from playing games... ...it's health comes from the garbage can!

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

R3cogniz3r wrote:That's the best idea I've heard yet today! I'll put together some documentation on SCRUM for gamers when I get some spare cycles. Then I'll ping you guys so we can get this roadmap crystalized! YES! Wait, but first we should have a few meetings about it. The first of which we will use to decide when to have more meetings. Then the next one will be what we should discuss in these meetings. The next one will be to develop some primary actions items! Once we have those action items crystalized, we'll have another meeting... ...to discuss... ...well, let's just take it offline, and we'll have an informal meeting about it in the hallway before we start our next meeting.

Now, what were we talking about? Oh yeah SCRUM! Let's set up a meeting...
This one post sums my entire experience at Microsoft...

Nice one!

P.S. Ham-boning will save your life one day...

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Haaamm-boooooooooooooning!!!

R3C
Star Post

Re: THE TOOOOOOOOOOOOL WE HAVE ALL NOT BEEN WAITING FOR !!!

Post by R3C »

Can't believe I clicked on that. Scrum off!

Scrum-it anyway!

Go Scrum yourself!!

Smurf you you smurfin'.... wait... scrummin' scrum-bag! God damned scrum-bags!

Hmmmm... That's a good name for a certified Scrum-Master. Let's go have a meeting with the scrum-bag!

I wonder how many scrum-didly-umdiots will find this page looking for Scrum information. [TEE HEE HEE] :twisted:

Well, I'll tell you something... If they do, then they can just scrum themselves and each other!

Good day!

I said good day!

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

WHAT!?!?!? 9 more years until Diablo 3!!?!?!?

Why didn't I see this before!!! The bastards!!! They have been planning on a 20 year development cycle all along!!!!

It's on the friggin front page of the Diablo 3 website!!!

Here is the actual text I'm referencing:
Two decades have passed since the demonic lords, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, set out across the world of Sanctuary on a vicious rampage, twisting humanity to their unholy will. Yet for those who battled the Prime Evils, the memory fades slowly.
Only ONE decade and one year has passed!!! 9 more friggin years!??!?!? At that rate I'll be dead by the time Diablo 4 comes out!!!

And hey! Just because our memories of battling the Prime Evils is fading slowly doesn't me you get to develop the game using a 20 year cycle!!!

N3ur0n0saurusl2exs0r!!!
Hitching Post

Hmmm....I wonder what the stupid dumb bastards that write comments about Diablo 3 think about this?

Lets find out!