What is Liu Chang burning with again?

MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM - Games, Politics, Tech, Film, Music, Arts, Culture, Travel, teh Intarweb or whatever else is on your mind.

Moderator: enderzero

R3C
Star Post

What is Liu Chang burning with again?

Post by R3C »

Oh yeah... RAGE!!! (unlocks tonight)

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Report back when opinion formed.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Can't report yet. I started it up last night... ...and then ran into most of the problems that many people are having with it. There are some fairly pronounced graphical issues, especially for us ATI people. There is supposed to be a hotfix driver for it today sometime that solves that. The game looks like it's going to be fun. John Goodman's voice acting is good so far. Now, if they solve my ATI woes before I jump back to greenside, I'll be a happy campler! Pfft... Spellcheck doesn't like campler. I find campler to be far superior to camper.... Phooey! Bliz-blaz and him-ham!

So anyway, yeah, I hope id and ATI get this fixed. I would really hate to have something bad to say about either one...

...but I will...

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Looks like ATI fixed most of the issues with the hotfix driver that's available now. I guess it's fast, smooth, and the artifacts are gone now. Now I can play it with power... video power!!! oh wait... the way it's meant to be pla.... ummm... maybe I can get in the game.... no wait... I guess my game experience will be evolved now... Yeah, that's the latest line for my card... :D

Now if only they had a better brand name for mine... Like Rabbid-Aardvark-Serial-Killer-Mushroom-Cloud-6870... That would make it even better.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I'm 40 posts from being something new... Yeehaw!!!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... river.aspx

Drivers... for RAGE! :grind: :D

Code: Select all

And...  Raging Monkeys!!!!

\ /
C(o.o)O
  (O)

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

Need vsync on, looks crappy whilst tearing ass all over the floor, or er... screen.

\ / 
C(o.o)O 
  (O)

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Yeah, I force VSync and Triple Buffering through the driver on everything. I've never run a system without these forced. (providing that the option to force was available)

I was too busy working on house things last night to play, so I'll be updating and giving it a big fat whirling tonight. Also got some nice tweak guides from here and or there.

Here is some info i found.

RAGE PC – How To Adjust Some Graphical Settings

Posted on October 4, 2011 by John Papadopoulos

PC gamers are right now disappointed with iD Software’s title as it doesn’t provide any in-game settings to adjust some of the game’s settings. Well, time to get excited because there is light at the end of the tunnel my friends. As with most iD Software engines, RAGE can be tweaked via the console commands or a config file, so keep reading to find out what can be changed at this point.

Although the console command gives a better idea of what the following tweaks are affecting, we strongly suggest creating a configuration file named “rageconfig.cfg” and putting it in “Rage\base\rageconfig.cfg”. By doing this, the file will be auto-loaded each and every time you start RAGE so you won’t have to type again and again those commands.

+set com_allowConsole 1
+set com_SkipIntroVideo 1

These two just allow the console to work and skips the logo videos.

vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100

These set overall quality level, lower on the HDP and higher (percentage) on the DCT with lossless support. (However the textures are what they are so you can’t expect miracles.)

vt_usecudatranscode 2

This is the CUDA function but 2 enables all of it not just smart mode.

vt_maxppf 1024
vt_maxlockedpages 256

These are what I’m struggling with now, a value of 2048 and 1024 respectively will cut down texture streaming to less than a second but will also cause possible glitches and stability problems so I’m testing various compromises here.(This is the number of paged\cached megatexture pages or what to call them.)

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

This is max texture resolution, again the textures are what they are and you can not get them to be better than that other than with some small tricks.

vt_minlod -1

Slightly negative LOD for a sharper image

vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none

Use uncompressed data (If available, it’s not.) instead of compressed and compression method. (Tab two times will cycle compression levels, that’s also how I found the CUDA = 2 thing.)

vt_maxaniso 16

Tell the megatextures to use full 16x AF filtering instead of 2x, sharper unless forced via CCC / NVCP already. Be advised that you might get artifacts with this value. It’s best to use 4 for 4x

vt_restart

Change anything with the virtual textures / vt and you’ll need to restart them, best is to execute the config (exec rageconfig.cfg for example.) in the main menu.

Additionally, if you want to change the FOV you’ll have to add the “+cvaradd g_fov 20″ command to the game’s launch options. By doing this, you are telling the game to run at its default FOV that is increased by 20 degrees. RAGE’s default FOV is 80 so if you add 20, you’ll get a FOV of 100. Feel free to lower that number to find your sweet spot.

Moreover, PC gamers can edit the “render_controls.xml” file that is located at the “C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\LAG\data\settings” folder. By editing this file, players can turn on and off SSAO, Depth of Field, and some other graphical options with simple true/false swtiches.

____________________________________________________________ _
Also, you can try these settings from another source.

RageConfig.cfg:

seta com_videoRam "1280"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
seta image_anisotropy "8"
seta m_smooth "0"
seta image_usecompression 0
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta image_preload "1"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1"
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1"
seta r_renderer "best"'
seta r_multiSamples "8"
seta r_useHBAO "1"
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1"
seta vt_restart

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Below are solutions that may resolve issues you're experiencing with screen tearing, as well as blurry textures + texture popping. If you're experiencing these issues, we recommend you try these one at a time. If for any reason your performance suffers, revert back to the prior settings.

Issues w/ screen tearing
RAGE currently does not have a menu option to turn V-sync on or off.

If the graphics driver supports a so called "swap-tear" extension then RAGE will use it and RAGE will V-sync when running >= 60 FPS and RAGE will tear when < 60 FPS. Unfortunately at the release of RAGE, none of the graphics drivers have the "swap-tear" extension enabled.

The user can force V-sync on or off in the graphics vendor control panel. Right-click on the desktop to access the graphics vendor control panel.

If V-sync is forced on then RAGE will always V-sync.
If V-sync is forced off then RAGE will auto-detect that V-sync is not working and RAGE will instead synchronize to real-time and screen tearing may occur.

Alternatively you can force V-sync on by adding the following to the RAGE launch options in Steam:

+r_swapInterval 1

The launch options can be found by right-clicking on RAGE in Steam and selecting "Properties". Then click on "Set Launch Options" in the dialog that pops up.

Blurry Textures and Texture Popping
The texture streaming is limited by the performance and number of cores of the main processor (CPU).

The higher the resolution at which the game renders and the higher the anti-aliasing setting, the more texture data is needed to texture the environment. If you do not have a high end CPU you may momentarily see blurrier textures and texture popping when the view changes quickly.

If you have a processor with few cores and you have a high end NVIDIA graphics card then you can try turning on the "GPU Transcode" menu option in the video settings menu in RAGE. By enabling this option a large percentage of the texture calculations are moved to the graphics\ processor (GPU). However, this option is not available on all graphics hardware and may not appear in the menu if your hardware does not support the necessary features.

On processors with few cores without the ability to turn on "GPU Transcode" you can significantly improve the texture streaming performance by adding the following to the RAGE launch options in Steam:

+vt_maxPPF 16

The launch options can be found by right-clicking on RAGE in Steam and selecting "Properties". Then click on "Set Launch Options" in the dialog that pops up.

If you have very few cores like a dual core processor then you can set a lower value like:

+vt_maxPPF 8

If setting these values does not improve the texture streaming performance for you then consider lowering the anti-aliasing setting in the video settings menu in RAGE.

You may, for instance, observe slow texture streaming at high resolutions like 2500 x 1600 with anti-aliasing set to 16X. In some cases lowering the anti-aliasing to 8X fixes the problem but lower settings may further improve
the texture streaming. Alternatively, or in addition, you can lower the
resolution.

We hope these help. The teams at id and Bethesda continue to work solutions to help you guys. More to come!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Oh, and...

\ /
C&#40;o.o&#41;O
  &#40;O&#41;

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

More settings. This set should work fairly well with a few card-specific tweaks...

seta com_videoRam "1536" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
seta com_maxfps "60" //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta image_anisotropy "8" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
seta image_preload "1" //Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1" //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "125" //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "50" //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_swapInterval 1 //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1" //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples "8" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1" //LoD settings
//below is cache settings
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
seta vt_restart
seta vt_maxaniso 8

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

\ /
C&#40;o.o&#41;O
  &#40;O&#41;

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

Mr. R3cogniz3r's tips did the trick, game is much smoother now.

This is fun, reminds me of the old DOOM3 tweaking! Fun to see a new id engine in action too.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

This game is TONs of fun. New driver, a touch o tweaks, and BLAM!!! idFix! Woohoo! So, I highly recommend it. It's fun, beautiful, and the enemy AI is really fun to play against. They're not horribly difficult, but they do a lot of cool things. They run for cover at APPROPRIATE times, they run away sometimes, they try to keep shooting after they're down, etc. They can swing from things, run up walls a little bit, etc. The graphics are amazing. The textures that are closest to you, could be a little higher-res, but overall the game is gorgeous! Standard id style, simple but fun mechanics, fun and natural feeling vehicles, etc. It's like a more serious, id-style, single-player (for the most part) version of Borderlands, without the loot element. So, basically, if id had made Borderlands, this is likely what it would be. :D

Anyway, good game. It was my first $59 game, and I'm happy I got it. Don't like that trend, but can't argue with a good id game.

I just got to Wellspring, and am going to start racing.

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

My first 59$ too, I think my boycott is over. They win. Jerks...

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

Got to Wellspring, but the mayor and a few other townies were all filled with corrupted graphics. Polygons popping out all over their models, looks terrible. Maybe just a fluke, have to go back and see if it does it again. I also crashed trying to enter one of the hideouts in the wasteland.

McNevin
Post Apocalyptic

Post by McNevin »

Hopefully the patch that came out Saturday fixes these issues.

Update: Yes it does. Nice of them to add V-Sync to the menu finally as well. Does anyone actually leave this off?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

The patch broke the whole game for me. Luckily, after the patch, and the newest (11.10 cats) it ended up being that the patched version doesn't like triple buffering forced through CCC. Turned that off, and it runs better now than it did with TB on before. So, it's back to being perfect, and quite fun! I just went down into the sewers for the first time, got a sponsored vehicle, and some other nonsense. You're really going to like the Shrouded Clan mission. It's TONs of fun! Woohaw!