Life Under Lockdown: What are you playing?

A place to talk about all things forever
joelomite

Re: Life Under Lockdown: What are you playing?

Post by joelomite »

We played what I assume was about 2/3rds of Witcher 3 and it gets harder and harder to imagine going back and figuring out whatever the hell we were up to when we left off. I feel like that was a really groundbreaking game that now almost every single major AAA release mimics in some way these days. Agreed that combat was very complicated, also I couldn't fully grasp the crafting elements either. More a fan of the Assassin's Creed series (Origins and Odyssey were both awesome) and of course Breath of the Wild.

joelomite

Post by joelomite »

Oh, and I don't know what your messageboard's policy is on shameless self-promotion but I started a twitch stream for our PS4. We'll be starting FFVII REMAKE from the beginning at 8pm tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/joelmcdub/

Hope this post doesn't get me banned!! :shifty:

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Oh yeah, I've spent more time on Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Breath of the Wild than any other games of the last 5 years.

BotW I played all the way through with almost everything but on the Wii U. I would guess maybe 80-100 hours. But I am fully planning to replay it (maybe sooner than later) on the Switch.

AC: Odyssey I did just about everything in the Greece map and beat all of the Elysium DLC. I am now in the 2nd underworld DLC but haven't really jumped into that yet and haven't played in a few months. I need to check but I think I was approaching 150 hours. It's pretty much the best non-Zelda adventure game I've ever played.

And of course you're allowed to post your twitch stream haha! I logged on and watched for a few minutes. Not a big twitch viewer though.

joelomite

Post by joelomite »

Yeah there is a lot about Twitch that makes absolutely no sense to me yet... did you post a comment? I think when I don't have my laptop open while streaming all the comments seem to vanish into the ether.

Have been streaming FFVII Remake without any commentary but did some microphoned up Yakuza Kiwami 2 the other night and it was pretty fun. We're a huge fan of that series and I recommend starting with Yakuza 0 if you haven't played any. There's no absolute definition of what makes those games so unique and amazing but the closest thing I've seen anyone label them is "Japan Simulator"

So far FFVII Remake is decent, kind of got some bullshit-errand subquests and not sure it's quite as entertaining to watch/broadcast as Yakuza but I'm gonna keep streaming it right now and will probably switch between the two at some point.

"Don't forget to like and subscribe!" ~am I a Generation Z yet?

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Yeah I said "Go get em Cloud!" or something.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I really enjoyed the original. It was a slow start, and I almost stopped, but by about the third major location opening up, things started to move along nicely. The combat is weird at first, but becomes transparent enough after a while.

I didn’t get into the second one. Played the opening sequence, and nothing grabbed me.

I have the third, and while it looks amazing, I haven’t had the kind of contiguous time blocks necessary for a game like it. I suppose I’m saving up virtual / nonexistent time blocks to play Cyberpunk :D

I still want to play The Witcher 3 though at some point.

Side note: I think I’ve mostly finished Hollow Knight. I still have to fight a few of the spirits, finish a few areas, but the entire map is open, and my little beetle is an unstoppable badass from the crater of badassery.

Edit: Seems my timing wasn’t quite right or something. This was in response to the Witcher post above.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Playing the Ori games, also Dead Cells

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Dead Cells is a wonderful time-sink. :lol: I probably have 100+ hours in it or so from Early Access until recently.

I played the first Ori a little bit, but didn't get very far. I'd like to play them both through at some point. Maybe when I finish Hollow Knight finally. Still working on it, and hit 68 hours this morning.

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

I've done just about everything in Sundered and been an hour or two away from completing the ability tree like 4 times now but the stupid save game keeps resetting to an earlier save. I thought it was something I was doing wrong until it just happened when I was extra careful. I reported the bug and got the below response back. Now I just need to go freaking finish it.
There is a problem with the save state on Xbox whenever the link to the Cloud service is disrupted, the game still thinks it's connected, but in reality Xbox Live Services revoked its access.
Unfortunately, it's neither on our end nor on Xbox's side, so we can't do much about it... that being said there is a fix!

Reboot the console completely, no-always on mode. If you completely shut down the console (heck, you may even want to unplug the console just to be certain), boot back the game.

Make sure that you always exit the game completely when you exit, don't let it constraint, since the issue may come back.
A good way to check if the Xbox service has been disrupted is to pin the achievement tracker, it shouldn't update properly if the link to Xbox Live Services was disrupted.

We are really truly sorry for the inconvenience!

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

In the back of my mind I got the RTX to try Cyberpunk 2077.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Hehe, I did the same thing. I got a 2070 Super, but who knows how CP will run on it with RTX features. May need to upgrade one more time for that game, and move the 2070 Super into the living room PC. :D

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

enderzero wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:38 pm
I've done just about everything in Sundered and been an hour or two away from completing the ability tree like 4 times now but the stupid save game keeps resetting to an earlier save. I thought it was something I was doing wrong until it just happened when I was extra careful. I reported the bug and got the below response back. Now I just need to go freaking finish it.
There is a problem with the save state on Xbox whenever the link to the Cloud service is disrupted, the game still thinks it's connected, but in reality Xbox Live Services revoked its access.
Unfortunately, it's neither on our end nor on Xbox's side, so we can't do much about it... that being said there is a fix!

Reboot the console completely, no-always on mode. If you completely shut down the console (heck, you may even want to unplug the console just to be certain), boot back the game.

Make sure that you always exit the game completely when you exit, don't let it constraint, since the issue may come back.
A good way to check if the Xbox service has been disrupted is to pin the achievement tracker, it shouldn't update properly if the link to Xbox Live Services was disrupted.

We are really truly sorry for the inconvenience!
That's no fun. The devs are quite nice though. I've talked to them a little bit on the Steam forums. That's one thing that's really cool about these types of games. You can usually talk to the devs if you want. :shades:

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Just about done with Hollow Knight. I think I put in 80+ hours. Much more than I had planned, but I kind of got hooked on it after a while, and have been collecting and exploring. I'm not going to finish the DLC, and I'm not going to do the Pantheon boss rush area, but I've pretty much done everything else in the game. Now I just need to go do the final section. Good game.

I might have to jump back into Dead Cells again for a bit, because they've had some huge updates since the last time I played about a year ago.

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

I finished Sundered as well, I got all the Elder Shards and finished my upgrade tree. Odd the game kinda got easier towards the end since I was so powerful. But a very cool game nonetheless. I'd go so far as to give it a :star: :star: :star: :star: :halfstar:

I'm not so sure what to go into next. Maybe I'll go try to finish up the DLC on AC: Odyssey ahead of Valhalla!

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I'm also in game-flux right now. I really want to play some classic Mario games, but now I want to play them on the Switch. :lol:

I should really finish Doom Eternal, but the jumping/parkour mechanics kinda made it less Doom, and more like Quake Arena meets Mirror's Edge. As much as I love Quake Arena and Mirror's Edge, I'm not quite into the mixture that is Doom Eternal. I also truly detest the way they heavily limited ammo to force you into using the chainsaw more. I'm ok with cutting a demon once in a while in a pinch, but in no way do I want to base a whole Doom game on chainsaw play. I'm calling it Lumberjack Doom, and it's not a game I asked them to make. :shifty: Everything else about it is absolutely top notch, so I'm really torn on this one. I think an ammo cheat would make it better, but I was hoping to finish it once without cheating. We'll see. I think I'll let it sit for a while, play something else for a bit.

What to play though...

joelomite

Post by joelomite »

If you're hankering for classic Mario and own a Switch there is nothing I recommend more highly than Super Mario Maker 2. Lots of people I recommend it to say "well I'm not really interested in making my own levels..." but don't seem to realize that playing other people's levels online basically amounts to an endless stream of human generated SMB1, 2, 3, World, New and 3D World levels. As you'd expect with things on the Internet in general there is a lot of good and a lot of bad but it's incredible nonetheless.

Oh and also I am really into making my own levels if anybody is interested! The searching function is kinda janky...
Maker ID: 2LH-Q84-H1H

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I’ve been considering grabbing Mario Maker, but haven’t yet.

I did just run through Aggelos again. On the last area now, so I should be done tomorrow.

I also played a little 198X today. So far it was very Final Fightish, but if I remember correctly it changes genres as you go. I like it so far.

Played a little DOA6 today as well. Always fun for a few matches.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Playing Resolutiion right now. Stumbled upon it the other day. It's really good so far. It took me a little bit to get used to it, because it's very similar visual to Hyper Light Drifter, but it plays quite a bit differently. The story elements are just starting to pick up a little bit. It's a little strange, but the controls are very tight, the music is amazing (think first Mass Effect and maybe a spot of Deus Ex HR). I feel like I'm sufficiently pulled in now to get into the game.

I may have missed something, but the Steam BB isn't working for me. I could just be dumbish. :crazy:

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Looks cool. They did a pretty good job of making a game title that is hard to find. If you google "Resolutiion" it auto corrects and if you search for Resolutiion Game then you get articles about game resolutions.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Indeed they did! :lol: I got stuck in an area for a bit, so I tried to go look it up. Then I decided to skip it, and keep trying. Eventually managed to figure it out. I've been glued to the game since I started. I'm in the office today, and am having withdrawals. :wasted:

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

So far on teh new PC I've only been playing VR stuff but Half Life: Alyx is definitely worth the hype. I can only really comfortably play for about an hour at a time but it's clearly the first truly killer app in VR (other than Google Earth and Tilt Brush). I like Super Hot VR too but maybe not quite as much as all teh hype. But it's fun in bursts.

And then in console world I started up The Messenger as well which is indeed fun and great sense of humor. Much easier than I remember the Gaiden games being too.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Haven't played as many games lately since I setup the recording equipment, but I've always had my eye on The Messenger.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

The Messenger is tip top! Highly recommend it.

Along the same lines, this fall Cyber Shadow comes out. (another Ninja / Ninja Gaiden style game)

This reminds me, I almost, but not quite beat The Messenger. Might be time to "circle back" (as someone in a good MS meeting would say) and finish it off. :ninja:

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Koa and I are playing River City Girls right now. It's a fun beat-em-up ala Final Fight, Streets of Rage, etc. Only it's got much more humor, tons of upgrades and abilities, etc. If you're in the mood for this type of game, I'd say it's the only one that's piqued my interest aside from playing the original Final Fight every so often.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Horizon Zero Dawn arrives on the PC on the 7th. Looking forward to it. They seem to have done an outstanding PC-worthy port, and I never played it on the PS4 (since I don't own one :D )

I just picked up Conglomerate 451 today. Going to give it a whirl. It's a classic style dungeon crawler (square by square movement) in a Cyberpunk type of setting. Looks fun.

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Finished Messenger. Great game. Did it all, all the seals, etc. I thought the game was over after the big boss (still the hardest part of the game) before you get the map, etc. But so much more after that. Really interesting dynamic.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Nice!! I still haven’t “circled back” because I’ve been in music mode. I must finish it up though!

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Just started Celeste on teh Switch. It’s great. Very quick and super platformy. I like.

I never played Braid but they just announced a remaster for early next year so may have to tackle that then.

Anyone planning to play Paper Mario?

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Been playing this silly little overhead grinder. It's quite fun.

UnderMine

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

picked up the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2 remasters for some nostalgia play.