Music Production

A place to talk about all things forever
Megatron
Hitching Post

Music Production

Post by Megatron »

Since the 'rona came, I've been re-invigorated with music. Over the last 4.5 years of launching chidrens.exe, I didn't have the time. Jason is a bit more manageable now and interested in music, so I've started putting together some music production type things.

Step one: Build new production machine.
I already completed a new build in early March with a Core i9, 32gb, 4tb SSD m.2 and thunderbolt 3 support for audio interface things. Oh, I also put an RTX 2080ti for good measure (in case I want to game it up), although I've been playing retro-type metroidvanias much more than hi-req "modern" games.

Step two: Started learning to use Studio One 4 by Presonus
I tried out a number of DAWs and decided I like this one. Nothing against Cubase, or Ableton, or any of the other ones (besides Protools, which is really expensive and contains way more than I need).

Step three: Connected my Roland TD-25KV E-Drumset and setup as a midi controller + got a bunch of cool drum sounds to assign to each channel. This has been really fun, assigning amazing drum sounds to my kit and recording live beats into the DAW, then messing with them afterward.

Step four: I've ordered a new audio interface, the Presonus Quantum 26x26 (which comes with Studio One 4 Artist Edition) - this will allow me to mic up and record my entire acoustic drum kit, and also record guitar, bass, vocals. Acquiring this meant I had to buy a rack, and power conditioning, and cables, and studio monitors, etc. The interface launched at NAMM this year and is Thunderbolt 3, meaning I can get 8 XLR inputs from the drumkit through 8 preamps and into the DAW with ~1ms latency.

Step five: I'm now waiting on the step four stuff to arrive, but I'm pretty excited to break out my guitar and start to produce some music in my makeshift basement studio. I'm still deciding on drum mics, vocal mic, and how I want to approach guitar and bass in terms of amp modeling and/or go through my Peavey Transfex 212. I'll cross those bridges soon. And I need a bass guitar. And a keyboard/midi controller.

R3C
Star Post

Re: Music Production

Post by R3C »

If you're still at a stage where you're into trying another DAW, I would highly recommend checking out Reaper. It's similar to your typical Cubase or Logic style ones, but it's super easy to use, highly compatible, performs well, and is only $60 for a license. (plus you can trial it for quite a while) It's the only one I'll touch these days.

Another item. I just bought the Poly Effects Digit "pedal". It's really a full micro-modular environment with a touch screen in a larger pedal. It took me a little bit to get used to it, but you can chain tons of effects, convolution models for cabinet and amp modeling, nice reverbs, delays, bit crusher, etc. The developer is really nice too, I've asked for a feature that he said he'd put in. The audio quality is tip-top IMO. It can take a little while to patch up an effects chain the way you want, but once it's in place, you can save the chain as a preset, and tweak from there. It's kind of like having a mini-Reaktor in a box or something like that. It also has MIDI In and Out, four channels of audio IO, and tons of internal modulators that you can use to automate effect parameters.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

I've heard about Reaper, I will try that one this weekend.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Vid of me playing on my Roland TD-25KV drum kit, through USB into Studio One, using Steven Slate Drums instrument to replace the midi signals from the drum pads.

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Wow so cool Bos. Can't wait to hear more of the results.

Isn't it so funny how we all use our high powered PCs to just play games that are trying to be like cool games from our childhood (or literally emulate cool games from our childhood).

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Yes, absolutely overpowered for Dead Cells. The Ori games are absolutely beautiful though and I'd like to think part of that belongs to the capable rendering and refresh rates of my new equipment. I also bought a 34 Alienware monitor on the cheapish ~700 that was a significant upgrade from my dual 24 inch ASUS VS248's that I purchased at the same time I built my last PC in 2013.

That is probably the longest I've ever gone between building new PCs since Ryland taught me how to build a PC in 1998/99.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Megatron wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:14 pm
Vid of me playing on my Roland TD-25KV drum kit, through USB into Studio One, using Steven Slate Drums instrument to replace the midi signals from the drum pads.

Nice!

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Mister J3rk, question for you: I'm in the market for a keyboard midi controller that has enough keys to build melodies, 49 or 61 key, needs drum pads, pitch and mod wheels, budget is probably between $300-$600 dollars, with some wiggle room.

Main purpose will be to build melodies, leads, sound layers, drum beat ideas, etc.

Any recommendations?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

I had an Akai Max-49 (actually it's still in the house, Auggie uses it now) which was really nice. Drum pads, good feeling keys, arpeggiator and sequencer built-in. It was also built very nicely. I don't think they still make the Max line, but their gear is generally of similar quality.

The Native Instruments ones are nice, but I'm not sure if they have one with pads and keys.

People like the Arturia ones. I like a lot of their gear, but much of it feels a little plasticy. So functionally good, but I wonder about the build quality.

Novation makes nice ones, but once again, I'm not sure about drum pads. I know they make pad controllers as well, so they may have something with both.

It's been a while since I've looked at controller-only keyboards, so there could be new models that do everything you want.

I'll take a peek around later, and see what's new.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm trying to do research and read reviews, etc. and it seems like there are many varying opinions - I suppose the drum pads aren't an absolute requisite, I just want something that I won't be disappointed in 3 months after purchase and covers the major features.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Pulled the trigger on a beginner Alesis 49 key so I can get with the program, then figure out the rest later.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

That's not a bad idea. I'm just using my Digitone Keys to control things, and it's only 37 keys. I had a Prophet Rev 2 with 61 keys, and I miss that, so eventually I'll have to get another large keyboard. Maybe a Novation Summit or a Hydrasynth or some-such. Even just being able to tap in some chords rather than enter them with a mouse is a huge benefit though, which can be done from anything with keys.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Yeah, I struggle to program sounds with mouse and keyboard, hell - I'm even "programming drums" to a click using e-drums, playing "live" into the DAW.
But now I've got the Presonus Quantum 2626 hooked up, so I can play guitar and bass into the DAW as well, so I've been monkeying with drums, bass, guitar - and the various amplifier and pedal effects model plugins, and then getting used to mixing those three things together using all the many plugins, mixing, compression, limiting, etc.

Will upload a couple of clips in a few minutes.

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Nice! You seem to be getting along with your new setup. Have you thought about something like a Handsonic, Nord Drum 3, TrapKat or something?

There's a drummer guy that has bought some of my synths that seems to get along ok with these types of devices:

Nord Drum 3P:

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

Yes, I've got my Roland TD-25KV mapped into DAW - been trying out some different drum replacements - the ones in the youtube videos I posted are Steven Slate Drums.

Here are some pics of my set up.
Attachments
20200710_225850.jpg
20200710_225850.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 70111 times
20200710_225923.jpg
20200710_225923.jpg (789.3 KiB) Viewed 70111 times

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

panorama turns my 34 inch widescreen into a 19 inch CRT.

In any case, I'm doing all of the drums live through the e-drum kit in the pic - and I'm able to start/stop recording with my phone app (Studio One), and adjust BPM / track if needed there. It's quite fun.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Megatron wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:11 pm
panorama turns my 34 inch widescreen into a 19 inch CRT.

In any case, I'm doing all of the drums live through the e-drum kit in the pic - and I'm able to start/stop recording with my phone app (Studio One), and adjust BPM / track if needed there. It's quite fun.
Nice! That does look like fun. (though I don't know from drums) :lol:

I did just order one of these:
Prologue16.jpg
Prologue16.jpg (426.78 KiB) Viewed 70099 times

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Most of my drummery is done using the following:
RHYTHM-DESIGNER-RD-8_P0DG5_Top-Front_XL.png
RHYTHM-DESIGNER-RD-8_P0DG5_Top-Front_XL.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 70098 times
Elektron-Model_Cycles-0126_1920x1280.jpg
Elektron-Model_Cycles-0126_1920x1280.jpg (542.31 KiB) Viewed 70098 times

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

\/\/0\/\/0\/\/ Matt! That Groove2 has a real Badmotorfinger feel. Looking forward to hearing more.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

A bit of rearranging:
A691105A-B4A1-4AC5-9563-65BA96AD6177.jpeg
A691105A-B4A1-4AC5-9563-65BA96AD6177.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 70084 times

Megatron
Hitching Post

Post by Megatron »

enderzero wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:20 pm
\/\/0\/\/0\/\/ Matt! That Groove2 has a real Badmotorfinger feel. Looking forward to hearing more.
Working on a full album playing all instruments and vocals (although will have some guest vocals).

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

Nice! Will check out said album when said album is available.

I hadn't seen these drum trigger/solenoid things before.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

It's different now...
NSetup.jpeg
NSetup.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 69042 times

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

D16EC078-8CA5-4A4C-8B1E-C51E99E3B3E6.jpeg