Cyber Shadow

A place to talk about all things forever
R3C
Star Post

Cyber Shadow

Post by R3C »

Cyber Shadow has finally been released. I'm playing it on the Switch, but it's on everything.

Right off the bat, I'd say it's not as good (in general) as The Messenger. It doesn't have the humor, (which isn't always necessary, but I did enjoy it in The Messenger quite a bit) it doesn't have a little red demon guy, the music isn't quite as cool, and the Ninja-ing so far is a bit more basic.

That sounds bad, but the game is actually excellent. It's just not The Messenger excellent.

It's like if you mixed Shadow of the Ninja, Megaman, and Sunsoft Batman together into a modern ninja game.

It's difficult, but gives you just enough checkpoints (unlimited lives with no real penalty too) to make it just hard enough not to be overly frustrating. I've played through about three bosses now, and have been having a lot of fun with it. Definitely recommend it. I just hoped it would be better than The Messenger, but I think that's a difficult thing to accomplish.

I would definitely put it up in the circle of great modern 2D indie games though.

Give it a whirl.

enderzero
Site Admin

Re: Cyber Shadow

Post by enderzero »

Oooh yeah will do. Does it have a map/upgrade type elements or just straight action?

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

It has quite a bit of upgrading. It starts off a bit slow in this regard, but after a while, it picks up, and you start powering up fairly quickly. The game definitely keeps pace with your upgrades though, so it doesn't taper off in difficulty. It also gets better as you play. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it as much as I thought I would. Then I liked it enough to keep playing. Now I love it. :lol:

enderzero
Site Admin

Post by enderzero »

Gave it a whirl and I liked it but didn't completely love it. Maybe I need to give it a few more whirls.

R3C
Star Post

Post by R3C »

enderzero wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 pm
Gave it a whirl and I liked it but didn't completely love it. Maybe I need to give it a few more whirls.
That is EXACTLY what I thought of it until I made myself press on. It definitely was not instantly liked by me. :D Usually games hook me pretty quickly if I'm going to enjoy them. Very few start off like this one did. I was very glad I kept going though. I'd say give it a couple more stages before you decide, get some upgrades from the shrine levels, and then you'll know if you like it.

You definitely get some good mobility upgrades later on. It's worth a few extra whirls I think.